Monitoring for problems using power data (Fridge failure, et

Working on a home project? Post it here.
j0dan

Re: Monitoring for problems using power data (Fridge failure

Post by j0dan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Teken wrote:What are you monitoring and how does it relate to the filter that would be a good start.
I monitor the furnace circuit. While just the fan is running at low speed I know the wattage difference between a clean and dirty filter so I am monitoring for when it stays in that "dirty" range.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm

j0dan wrote:My program monitors these variables:

Code: Select all

If
        $gem.furnace < 400
    And $gem.furnace > 330
and waits for this to remain true for 10 minutes.

I posted the graph as I'm not sure how that logic could be possible for even 2 full minutes. So is it a problem with my program or the interface between the DashBox and ISY?
Can you go into the Live section of that channel and see if you can grab a complete furnace cycle? Should show a bit more information.

Here's a furnace on one of our monitors here (real vs minute):
realvsminute.png
realvsminute.png (66.04 KiB) Viewed 16137 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

j0dan wrote:
Teken wrote:What are you monitoring and how does it relate to the filter that would be a good start.
I monitor the furnace circuit. While just the fan is running at low speed I know the wattage difference between a clean and dirty filter so I am monitoring for when it stays in that "dirty" range.
What is the exact value or range the furnace will declare a dirty filter? Your previous reply indicates you have programmed the ISY to detect a range is 330 ~ 400 watts. Is this range you defined when the fan is only running? Even with such a margin it doesn't take into account fluctuations of line voltage and furnace operations.

Can you provide a manual for the furnace in question?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
j0dan

Post by j0dan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Teken wrote:What is the exact value or range the furnace will declare a dirty filter? Your previous reply indicates you have programmed the ISY to detect a range is 330 ~ 400 watts. Is this range you defined when the fan is only running? Even with such a margin it doesn't take into account fluctuations of line voltage and furnace operations.

It is defined by me. The fan typically runs 15 minutes/hour even when there is no call for heat/cool. And the current draw is steady while the fan is running. When the filter is dirty, the furnace uses 350-380 watts and as soon as I clean it, it drops to 275.
j0dan

Post by j0dan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:30 pm

I found the issue. Small slip of the mouse! Accidentally had the notification in the Else statement instead of Then.

Explains why only this monitor was having problems too. And the updates are still reliably coming from the DashBox in a timely manner.
j0dan wrote:

Code: Select all

Filter Needs Cleaning.notification - [ID 0024][Parent 003D]

If
        $energy.notify.furnace_filter is 1

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 

Else
        Send Notification to 'dan@unetworks.com'
Attachments
Screenshot - 3_13_2017 , 12_19_25 PM.png
Screenshot - 3_13_2017 , 12_19_25 PM.png (30.54 KiB) Viewed 16120 times
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 pm

j0dan wrote:
Teken wrote:What is the exact value or range the furnace will declare a dirty filter? Your previous reply indicates you have programmed the ISY to detect a range is 330 ~ 400 watts. Is this range you defined when the fan is only running? Even with such a margin it doesn't take into account fluctuations of line voltage and furnace operations.

It is defined by me. The fan typically runs 15 minutes/hour even when there is no call for heat/cool. And the current draw is steady while the fan is running. When the filter is dirty, the furnace uses 350-380 watts and as soon as I clean it, it drops to 275.
Using the lowest value of (350 watts) minus the stated 275 watts. Your saying the furnace requires and consumes an extra 75 watts when the filter is dirty?!?! :?: :? What is the MERV rating of this filter and is it with in the stated makers allowances?

Can you offer a link to the furnace in use for your home?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
j0dan

Post by j0dan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:27 am

Teken wrote:Using the lowest value of (350 watts) minus the stated 275 watts. Your saying the furnace requires and consumes an extra 75 watts when the filter is dirty?!?! :?: :? What is the MERV rating of this filter and is it with in the stated makers allowances?

Can you offer a link to the furnace in use for your home?
My furnace is a Goodman GMV95. Unsure which exact model. I have an electronic air cleaner with a MERV of 16. The wattage difference is when the small pre-filters are dirty which takes ~3 months and just need a vacuum.

Yes, it is a big difference in wattage, but not the end of the world. Power is cheap here. 13c at the peak.