Mapping existing outlets to circuits

Working on a home project? Post it here.
folderoo

Mapping existing outlets to circuits

Post by folderoo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am

Hi all,

I'm just beginning my monitoring project.

I'm thinking my first step should be to make a map of my circuits in my home so I know what loads are on which circuits.

The only method I have to do this would be to turn off all circuits, then turn on one circuit only, walk about the house with a plug tester and see which plugs are live, then chart the results so I end up with a map of outlets and circuits.

I'm wondering if there are any steps I can take to make this go more easily and accurately and how other people have done this preparatory step.
Judgeless

Re: Mapping existing outlets to circuits

Post by Judgeless » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:31 pm

I took a different approach. I connected a Brultech sensor on every breaker in my box. Then went from room to room and turned things on and off watching the usage on my PC. I used a 500 watt halogen light to test the wall outlets.

I put a really small label on every switch and outlet with the breaker number for future
reference.
btoups

Post by btoups » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 am

The Best way I have come across for outlets is a radio. Put it on and turn up the volume, when you hit the breaker with that outlet the radio goes off. Saves leg work for the lazy.
n8vjp

Post by n8vjp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:40 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but you do not need to shut breakers off to identify branch circuits when you have the right tools (~$20)...

http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-9650-Bre ... ker+finder