My long waited GEM project

Working on a home project? Post it here.
daudet

My long waited GEM project

Post by daudet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Hello All,

Well after browsing this Forum and many others since 2011, I am now ready to start the project this fall.

Earlier this year I was planning for 5x ECM-1240 for my monitoring system. But after browsing this site I found out the GreenEye Monitor which is more economical and has 32 Ch under the same box.

A bit about myself.
I am an old timer in the telecom business for more than 30 years (IP phones,SIP and call-center now).. Served in the Air Force for 9 years as Telecom Ground... Amateur Radio Operator 35y.
I am running a personal weather station since 2005. http://www.meteohautrichelieu.com and
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... IQUEBECS19

That said i had first to rearrange my existing Main Panel area which is about 4'x4'.
This area has Main Panel, all my telephone and computer cable terminated on QMBIX10A, Cable Modem, Router, SIP Phone Interface and Alarm panel.
So I had to remove almost everything and kept only the Alarm panel that i moved to top left corner leaving space for Sub-Panel bottom left corner and the mid left area will be for connection and extension of all my CT's via CAT-5e to my new computer/telecom area in the storage/bench room.

My Main Panel is a Cutler-Hammer CPM-220 with 20/40 circuits.
Adding the SPAS 4 years ago with a 60A circuit took the last 2 slots. I am maxed out.

Two days ago I added a new Sub-Panel CPL-112 (12/24 circuits) next to the main. I had to relocate 2 dual breakers to make room for the 100A feed.

Everything went well for the transfer but I got a small issue with the size of cable to feed the sub-panel. In the CPL-112 no problem with connections with the #2AL cable. On the main panel the 100A breaker and ground can handle it, but Neutral did not fit on the regular neutral buss-bar. :(
Main Fridge with Internet feed, Security Cam and Weather server were waiting for power....
So at 23h i had to be creative to get that Neutral connected... :idea: So i looked in my electrical junk box and found small Aluminum lug terminal and screw it up to the end of the Neutral buss-bar.

23h45 I had power to my new Sub-Panel. :P Part 1 is done.
Attachments
New Sub-Panel with the 4 circuits moved
New Sub-Panel with the 4 circuits moved
sub-1.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
Main panel after the 100A and all connections done
Main panel after the 100A and all connections done
main1.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC. Can.
daudet

Re: My long waited GEM project---Part 2 Size up the Installa

Post by daudet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

ok my next step is to size my installation for the amount of CT's required and channels setup.

I have made an Excel sheet with my Panels. Please feel free to use it if you like it.
MyBreakerPanels.xlsx
(14.92 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
I need your comments on this approach.
I have combined the 4 kitchen counter breakers to 2 channels. Counter 1 outlet is only use with the toaster, outlet #2 bottom is user for the Tassimo and outlet #3 Top is use for the kettle
That mean Tassimo and Kettle have a separate 15A . I hope I will be able to monitor properly by using only 2 channel for 4 circuits.

I have already ordered my 1-wire Temperature probes on Ebay, 10x for 19.00$ us

Next step is to get a quote from Brultech for a GEM and all my CT's so I can really start the project.
In the mean time i will run my CAT-5e and punch them down into a QMBIX10A

See you on part 3 soon.
Attachments
This is my Main Panel
This is my Main Panel
pan1.jpg (167.78 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
This is Sub-Panel 2 and 3
This is Sub-Panel 2 and 3
pan2.jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
ben
Site Admin

Re: My long waited GEM project

Post by ben » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Small suggestion, you may want to add a pair of Micro-100s on the Sub Panel mains for totals for that panel. Summing data for 12 circuits can be pretty intensive depending on how the software handles it.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
daudet

Post by daudet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:07 pm

ben wrote:Small suggestion, you may want to add a pair of Micro-100s on the Sub Panel mains for totals for that panel. Summing data for 12 circuits can be pretty intensive depending on how the software handles it.

Ben
Thanks Ben
my original idea was to get a new panel with 60 or 80 cirtuits . I backed off because i would have to get an electrician to cut the main cables at the mast. Then remove the old panel, shorten the 3in conduit and feed cables, put the new panel and rewire from A to Z. This is a full day without power, bugging the neighbourhood with the 7kw generator running all day, plus electrician back at end of day to re-splice the cables.
so I opted to extend the actual panel with 24 new circuits and treat it as a 64 circuits panel that is why i did not use M-100.
Which was done without interruption except for the moved circuits. I still have the kitchens plug to move so i free up space for my 30A generator breaker.

i will add this as an option when i request a quote for my system next week.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Re: My long waited GEM project Question on Multi-CT's

Post by daudet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello everyone's,
I have 4 circuits 15amps for the kitchen counter outlet.
a pair of 15A goes to one outlet and the other pair to 2 outlets as show in my diagram.
The standalone outlet has only the Tassimo coffee maker, one of the 2 have the Kettle or the Crock pot and the other have either the toaster, mixer or electric WOK.

So instead of using 4 channels to monitor them individually, i would like to use 4 CT's and combine them to one circuit on the GEM.

Since each TOP outlet are on L1 (A) and Botton are on L2 (B)

Is it feasible and is it the right way to do it?

If not can anyone drive me in the right direction?

GEM programming is there any special trick to setup of just as per the book.

Regards
Attachments
Kit-CTs.jpg
Kit-CTs.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm

If combining more than 2 CT's into one channel. You will need to combine them using what ever method you deem appropriate. Once done, you can insert the other end into the GEM's push pin with out worry of damage to the board.

You will also need to use the same CT's for all four and confirm polarity of the CT donuts.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Teken wrote:If combining more than 2 CT's into one channel. You will need to combine them using what ever method you deem appropriate. Once done, you can insert the other end into the GEM's push pin with out worry of damage to the board.

You will also need to use the same CT's for all four and confirm polarity of the CT donuts.

Teken . . .
Thanks Teken will do.

As you can see in my diagram CT's will be combined to only 1 pair at the channel connector in the GEM

The GEM will be located 12m away from pannels. I am planning to extend thru CAT-5e and the connection will be punch down with telco BIX system. That way each CT's use 1 pair from panel to GEM wall.
At GEM location BIX i can go pair to pair for single CT/ch, for multi CT i can bridge them at the BIX mount level and get always 1 pr to each GEM ch.
This BIX system will be like a patch panel with the ability to make change at any time, reverse polarity or reallocate will be a snap without ever opening the GEM.

I will post pictures and details when done
Daniel Audet VA2DG
jloram

Post by jloram » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:36 am

Given the panel layout you show, Danial, you can do it the way you show (remember to reverse the polarity of the two CTs on the B phase). You will find it impossible to get all four of the CT wires into a single GEM connector, so you will need to figure out a transition. For example, you could connect all four CTs together at the panel and use a single twisted pair in the cat5 to conduct the signal to the GEM, which should easily connect to the GEM.

Alternatively you can accomplish the same measurements using two micro-40 or a single micro-80 CT.

To use two micro-40s, you'll pass both phase A wires through one Micro-40 and both phase B wires through the other Micro-40. You'll experience no problem connecting the two micro-40s up to the same GEM channel, however, be sure to reverse the phase of one of them.

Finally, to use a single micro-80 on your four circuits, first determine that you can physically pass four wires through the micro-80. (Here in the USA, the insulation on 14 gauge solid copper wire will allow five wires to pass through a Micro-80.) Then pass the two phase A wires through the Micro-80 in one direction and the two phase B wires through the same Micro-80 in the opposit direction.

As a side note, all the above applies equally to the ECM-1240.
Regards, -john-
daudet

Got my new toy today !!GEM!!

Post by daudet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hello everyone.
While waiting to get my GEM order processed, I did some clean up around my panel area and got all the Telephony and Data stuff out of there. :x Moved the Paradox alarm panel up.

I have added 2x 24"x48" plywood near my bench area. I have to pull out all CAT5 an move them to the new area. Voice cable is not a problem as I use IP phones. But Data cable is another story.

Today around 17h I got my long waited box. :) Brand new GEM-E with 2x SP-200, 2x M-80 and 40x M40.

Getting the box up and running on the bench was a piece of cake.
COM Ver 2.41 and ENG Ver 1.46 so noting to do.

I will hook up my SPA 60A circuit for tonight and see how is goes.

Next step will be to experiment with different length of CAT5 to see how far can I go without any loss.
Then the CT's installation and wiring from Panel to first BIX demarc then run CAT5's to bench area BIX block and punch the 32 ch from the GEM.

Still waiting for my Temperature probe ordered from China. Been more and 20 days now.

Will also post some pictures of the progress in the next post.

That's it for now, Stay tune.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Some Pictures and first reading from by GEM

Post by daudet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi everyone

here is a view after clean up.
I took out, Cable Modem, PAPT2 (SIP adaptor), Router DD-WRT and QMBIX10A (Phone distribution block) I have relocated the Paradox alarm panel on top left.
I still have to clean up all the electrical wire some need to move from main panel to secondary panel, specially the SPA cable the big black one on the right.
I took out, Cable Modem, PAPT2 (SIP adaptor), Router DD-WRT and QMBIX10A (Phone distribution block) I have relocated the Paradox alarm panel on top left.
IMG_20131001_235903.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5849 times
A the bench area i have installed 2 pieces of 2'x4' plywood. the left panel already have the QMBIX10A mount for the voice cables. Later i will have a 24 ports patch panel for the Data cables.

Need to get electrical outlet on the panel too.
This is the 2 new plywood panel added in my bench area with the QBBIX10A mount ready to get the voice cables.
This is the 2 new plywood panel added in my bench area with the QBBIX10A mount ready to get the voice cables.
IMG_20131018_225720.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5849 times
My GEM and Accessories
My GEM and CT's received today
My GEM and CT's received today
IMG_20131018_204854.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 5849 times
more on next post
Daniel Audet VA2DG