My long waited GEM project

Working on a home project? Post it here.
garbled

Re: My long waited GEM project

Post by garbled » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

I found that if you have a full GEM, you need at least a 1" conduit to fit all the CT lead wires. Just be aware of that when sizing your conduit.
daudet

Post by daudet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:37 pm

garbled wrote:I found that if you have a full GEM, you need at least a 1" conduit to fit all the CT lead wires. Just be aware of that when sizing your conduit.
Thanks

I did use 1/2 " Flex but using 2 from main , and 1 from Sub, plus 1 for SP-200 in the top compartment, all going to pull box then 2 more conduit from pull box to GEM box with all CT's plus 3 Cat5e and 1x 2pr. and 2 power and still have room for more.

WIll post picture tonight.

Regards
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC. Can.
daudet

Retest of M-40,50,80 with 150 watts and 1000 watts load

Post by daudet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Hello everyone

as mention by tnakelski Tony about using a light bulb instead of a fan made a big difference.
Wattage difference between GEM and Kill A Watt is minimal this time. The way it should be and it is very consistent between all 3 CT's tested.

I have redone the test with the portable heater.

Thanks to Ben for the offer of free M-50.
I got my order today 2x M-80 and 1x M-50 that i bought to make a pair in case needed.
Attachments
2013-10-28 21-13-12.jpg
2013-10-28 21-13-12.jpg (194.27 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Re: My long waited GEM project continued...

Post by daudet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Hello Everyone

A full week have elapse since my last post about my installation progress.

Well after I decided to keep the GEM near the panels last Monday morning,
like Teken said accuracy versus convenience, I go for accuracy , thanks for your advise.

So I started on Monday evening after dinner. I have installed my conduits from main panel to pull-box, then I fished all CT's wires to the pull-box and temporary reconnected all CT's until next evening.
Continuing on Tuesday evening, Disconnected all CT's, I mounted the GEM screwing it to the door and start pulling CT's from pull-box to GEM hinged box (old alarm panel) and from Sec.Panel to GEM then using the 3 knockout on back of GEM I re-connecting the CT's, Network, Power, 1-Wire, Pulse and Com's port. By 22h00 that was it until I get my M-80 for Stove and I can find a window to cut power to install my SP200. Picture Take on Tuesday night.
from secondary panel to ,

Overall view of job done by end of day Tuesday 22nd
Work done at end of day Monday 22nd
Work done at end of day Monday 22nd
2013-10-28 22-17-18.jpg (101.78 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Junction box with main panel conduit on the bottom, 2 left conduit to GEM, 1 hole on right for top main panel for SP-200 (not installed yet). Top exit has 3 Cat5e for Ethernet, Pulse 1-4, for Com1 and 2. Another 2pr (white) goes out for 1-wire and i also feed both power cable. Bottom white JKT is for pulling my M-80 CT's for the stove circuit as the wire is too big for an M-40.
Close up view of the Junction box
Close up view of the Junction box
IMG_20131022_203143.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4079 times
Close up view of GEM, Junction box, Alarm Panel.
Close up view of GEM with all CT's connected and junction box
Close up view of GEM with all CT's connected and junction box
IMG_20131022_221225.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4079 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Post by daudet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Everyone

For the remaining of the week I did work on my Phone and Data cabling and Internet/Router/Phone relocation.

Originally when I built the house 15 years ago I did my cabling with 2 Cat-5 per outlet. Each room has 2 outlets for a total at that time of 12 outlets.

Now that I have to move them from back of house (Electric panel) to front of house (bench area).

I have installed 2 pieces of 2'x4' of plywood on 2 angled walls.

Some cables were long enough to pull them back all the way around house and reroute them to new location. But 5 of them were too short so I had to splice them with QCBIX1A strip.

Now all Voice cables are terminated on a QMBIX10A and Data cables in a 48 ports patch panel.
I also ran a 12-2 cable for a 20 Amps circuit to feed my new Data rack and all other devices.
Also installed a 20 Amps metered APC power bar. Now I am waiting for a surplus 19" H-Frame.
I also move all my Internet stuff, Cable Modem, Router and PAP2T (sip line).
Voice distribution panel
Voice distribution panel
2013-10-28 23-24-40.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Data Patch Panel and APC-PDU
Data Patch Panel and APC-PDU
2013-10-28 23-26-44.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Overall view of both panel.
Overall view of both panel.
2013-10-28 23-28-58.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Last edited by daudet on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Post by daudet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi everyone

Finally I got my window for power shutdown on Sunday as my wife was working early in the morning.
Now it is time to install the master piece of the puzzle the MAIN CT's.

Removing the top panel of my Cutler Hammer panel was a bit tricky. As you can see in the picture below the top panel is in a L shape over the top breakers and they just clear the buss bar by 1/2 of an inch. So this is a killer task without shutting off the main 200 Amps breaker. After looking at pictures on how inside panel is looking like i decided to go ahead. At 08h16 I turn off Main breaker.
Then i had to to remove the first 4 breakers slots and make room to slide down the panel by 1/2 of an inch to clear the top lip of the panel and slide it right my 1/4 of an inch to be able to remove it safely.

Then open a knock out on the left for the conduit, added 2 Tie rap between the 2 main cables, installed both SP200, 1 arrow up and the other one arrow down, routed the cable to conduit re-install top panel and power back the main at 08h24. That was easier that I thought. :)
2013-10-28 23-53-35.jpg
2013-10-28 23-53-35.jpg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
On Monday 29th I got my CT's for Brultech and I manage to install my last M80 for the Stove.
But guess what? They are too shorts. M-40 are 2m and M50/80 are 1.5m. Missing about a foot.
Stove breaker is on mid right side of the panel. So I cut off about 15" from 2 M40 from the secondary panel and solder them to the M80. Splice is just past the pull-box toward the GEM.
Adding 15" to my M-80's
Adding 15" to my M-80's
2013-10-29 00-06-36.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Now i am all set with the CT's and ready to get my stuff sorted out on SEG.
I may need some advise for setting up on SEG.
I will experiment and if I have any questions I will ask them over here. Hopefully someone will have an answer.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Tirnanah

Post by Tirnanah » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I would be curious if you did any further testing with the extending? I did a little and have not noticed a big difference (mine are extended 50' from the main panel box, and about 10' from my secondary box, punched down onto a J-block, which then feeds through 2 25 pair cables into the GEM). In checking the totals on my bill from the power company and what SEG shows my total power usage for the month, there is only a very small difference, and I know for a fact my GEM was off for part of the given month between power outtages and server down time... I will try to find time to run some tests with a light bulb on an isolate circuit and see what it shows between the kilowatt and the GEM...

Thanks,
Doug
ben wrote:
daudet wrote:Next is my M-80 that i had hard time to slide on the SPA wire.
On the black i had to use and exacto knive to remove 1/32" on the first inch of the cable to be able to slide the CT. On the red it went ok.

Question? when i put CT's on a 220v circuit should i put one CT with the wire exit on the right and the other with wire to the left. I thing it make more sense as both wire will be same color (both white together and both black together.
Yeah, the Micro CTs all have labels also, so you can make sure the labels face opposite directions on a 220V load to confirm they're facing the right direction.
daudet wrote: I have all my CT's hooked up except SP-200 and the Stove 30A circuit which the cable are too big for M-40, will have to get a pair of M-80 to fit.
I have setup some stuff on SEG but can't make any change on my Dashboard today, no Add or Edit. Seem that SEG is having a problem.

My setup is kind of temporary until i decide if i put the GEM at remote location (45ft) or near panel.

Testing an M-40 CT with low and high load
I have conducted some testing this morning with a test circuit.
The testing was with a low load Portable FAN and high load Portable Heather.

I have include my table below.
We haven't really conducted any tests with CTs extended, so this is pretty interesting. If you're ordering some Micro-80s, and you'd like to conduct the same tests with our Micro-50s, we can throw one in there for free. You can let either me or sales know via email.

Ben
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:27 am

Temporary Place Holder to be updated later.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:28 am

Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:28 am

Daniel Audet VA2DG